Cultural Tips when visit RINJANI NATIONAL PARK LOMBOK ISLAND – INDONESIA
* Smile and greet people, especially elders.
* Shake hands, gently.
* Accept hospitality and food. You do not have to eat and drink, but it is polite to ACCEPT.
* Say goodbye and thank you when you leave.
* Dress modestly. Women should keep upper arms and thighs covered.
* Bend down and walk around seated people when you need to pass.
* Use only your right hand to eat and to hand objects or money to someone.
* Be sure to sit at the same level as other people.
* Wear a sarong when entering the house of Melokaq (Adat leader) and when participating in ritual and adat ceremonies.
* Enter houses, building or village without being invited.
* Wear shoes inside a house.
* Point at people with your finger. Don’t ever use your foot to point at objects or people.
* Point the bottom of your feet directly at people whilst sitting on the floor.
* Touch anyone’s head.
* Step over people or food on the floor.
* Eat with your left hand or use your left hand to give or accept objects or money.
* Raise your voice, especially in anger.